Seeds of Inspiration Blogs
Follow along to learn about healthy lifestyle tips and tricks, alongside delicious veggie-filled recipes, and educational greenhouse-grow facts. We’re here to inspire and help you get the most out of your Red Sun Farms purchase.
10 Tips for Back-to-School Lunches
It’s the most wonderful time of year… and we’re not talking about the winter holidays. It’s time to pack those new notebooks, pencils and lunchboxes for back-to-school! To help you transition from summer to school, follow these 10 tips for back-to-school lunches:
- Get the kids involved. You’ve heard it time and time again, and for good reason! Kids are more likely to eat what they’ve helped pick at the store (with your guidance). Grocery shopping solo? Ask them to help you create your weekly shopping list before leaving the house.
- Sunday prep day. Cut Red Sun Farms’ sweet bell peppers into strips, slice Red Sun Farms’ seedless cucumbers, and don’t forget to add Red Sun Farms’ tomatoes to have a few days’ worth of easy lunch snacks. Bonus efficiency points for prepping foods already being used in tonight’s dinner!
- Save some green. Check out your store’s weekly circulars to build meals around the proteins, produce and dairy on sale for the week. And remember to enter to win our weekly gift card giveaway! We’re giving away $100 every week to one lucky winner through the end of the year.
- Think outside the sandwich bun. Veggies and fruits can stand in for bread for a creative way to break up the lunchbox routine. Try turkey roll-ups or one of these nine bun-less creations. Red Sun Farms’ seedless cucumbers can be hollowed out ants-on-a-log style and filled with cottage cheese, tuna salad or hummus.
- When in doubt, go with a formula. Struggling to decide what to pack? Think 1 lean protein, 1-2 fruits, 1-2 veggies and 1 whole grain for a satisfying and healthy meal.
- Salad is not too cool for school. Especially if you live in warm weather states. Check out our Salad Madness pinboard for grain, hearty veggie, and sweet fruit salads.
- Get creative with leftovers. Extra roasted veggies? Dice and mix into chicken or tuna salad. Made too much pasta with last night’s spaghetti? Toss with Italian dressing, feta, Red Sun Farms’ seedless cucumbers, Red Sun Farms’ tomatoes and olives for a tasty cold lunch. You can also add some color with a few Red Sun Farms’ sweet bell peppers!
- Work in those fruits and veggies. They’re full of fiber (helping kids feel fuller longer), vitamins and minerals. Use these 50 tips for incorporating fruits and veggies into meals.
- Leave a sweet treat. It can be a hand-written note, a small piece of dark chocolate or a tasty mix of fruit to make lunchtime sweeter.
- Don’t forget about yourself! Pack lunches the whole family can enjoy, or even try a few lunches for adult palates. Whatever you choose, we have loads of inspiration on our Packable Lunches pinboard.
For more tips, recipes and giveaways from Red Sun Farms, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.