Seeds of Inspiration Blogs
Follow along to learn about healthy lifestyle tips and tricks, alongside delicious veggie-filled recipes, and educational greenhouse-grow facts. We’re here to inspire and help you get the most out of your Red Sun Farms purchase.
DIY Bread & Butter Pickles
Get cookout, picnic and summer party-ready with DIY pickles. Whether you use Red Sun Farms cucumbers or have a bumper crop of homegrown cukes, crispy crunchy will be transformed into sweet and zesty. New to bread and butter pickles? This recipe boasts the perfect combination and balance of flavors and will jazz up anything from a tuna sandwich to a freshly grilled burger.
- 1 ½ lb Red Sun Farms mini cucumbers, cut into 1/8-inch rounds
- ½ large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 ½ Tbsp. salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 ½ cup white vinegar
- ¾ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. mustard seeds
- ½ tsp. celery seeds
- Pinch (less than ¼ tsp.) of turmeric
- Mix cucumbers, onion, and salt in a colander. Set the colander in a bowl, cover and refrigerate 1 ½ hours.
- Rinse cucumber mixture in cold water, drain liquid and set cucumber mixture aside.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat; stir until sugar dissolves.
- Carefully spoon hot mixture over cucumber-onion mixture in heat-safe containers. Let cool on counter for one hour.
- Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours before enjoying to let flavors set.
- Pickles may be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two weeks.
- Recipe yields about 4 cups of pickles.
- Browse our Grilling Out and Lunch Made Easy pinboards for ways to use your freshly made bread and butter pickles (other than as a tasty snack).
Watch us grow and follow us on Facebook.