Seeds of Inspiration Blogs
Follow along to learn about healthy lifestyle tips and tricks, alongside delicious veggie-filled recipes, and educational greenhouse-grow facts. We’re here to inspire and help you get the most out of your Red Sun Farms purchase.
Veggie Grilling Tips
Football season is just around the corner, which means it’s time to fire up your grill and get ready for some tasty tailgating food with these veggie grilling tips. Before grilling, always clean your grill according to manufacturer’s instructions. Use metal tongs and spatulas during cooking, and keep a little oil nearby in case your food begins to stick. For foods that will cook directly on the grill, apply a thin layer of oil to prevent sticking. If using skewers, remember to soak them in water for at least an hour beforehand so they don’t burn. Now that we have the basics down, it’s time to focus on the veggies:
Sweet Bell Peppers
- It’s the beautiful colors of our red, orange or yellow Red Sun Farms sweet bell peppers that make this dish so appealing. Cut our sweet bell peppers into 1"- 1.5" strips and cook 4-6 minutes on medium-high heat, uncovered. Try skewering with similarly-sized meats, tofu, onions, and mushrooms.
- Looking for something different? You’ll love this Greek Chicken Kebabs with Tzatziki Sauce, or for a hearty meatless option, try Summer Vegetable and Tofu Kebobs.
- This simple veggie tip is so easy that your guests will be begging for the secret. Cut Red Sun Farms eggplant into ½" thick rounds, season and coat with oil. Cook 4-5 minutes on medium heat, uncovered and bon appetit!
- Need a crunch? Serve eggplant in crispy bites in Grilled Vegetable Salad & Eggplant Chips or as Grilled Bruschetta Eggplant, a hearty breadless dish.
- This tip is our favorite! Try grilling some of our hearty Red Sun Farms tomato varieties, like our beefsteak tomato. You can cut the tomato in half, add oil and cool over medium heat for in 2-3 minutes on medium heat. Trust us, you won’t be disappointed! You might also like to try our tomatoes in this popular dish, Tadashi’s Grilled Tomatoes.
- Don’t assume the smaller tomatoes need less cook time. Our smaller varieties, such as cherry tomatoes, will cook for 5-10 minutes on medium-high heat. Cherry and small tomatoes should be covered during cooking and housed in a heavy duty aluminum foil pouch. Cherry tomatoes are the perfect ingredient for Caprese Style Portobellos.
- Red Sun Farms cucumbers are the perfect side item and can be used alongside grilled meats and veggies for a crisp crunch.
- If you’re looking to wow your guests, we recommend these Grilled Lamb Burgers with Whipped Feta and Cucumbers.