Seeds of Inspiration Blogs
Follow along to learn about healthy lifestyle tips and tricks, alongside delicious veggie-filled recipes, and educational greenhouse-grow facts. We’re here to inspire and help you get the most out of your Red Sun Farms purchase.
Your Guide to Heart Health
February is Heart Month, a time to bring attention to the importance of heart health and the things we can do to reduce our risk of cardiovascular disease. It really comes down to making healthy lifestyle and diet choices.
A few things to keep in mind:
- Avoid putting on the pounds
- Eat when you are truly hungry.
- Stop eating when you are about 80% full.
- Fill half your plate with fruits and vegetables, as it is a great way to fill up but not eat too many calories.
- Limit saturated fat in your diet and eat more healthy foods that contain Omega 3 fatty acids.
- Add hemp seeds, chia seeds or walnuts to salads, soups, granola or oatmeal.
- Eat 2-3 servings a week of fatty fish like salmon or sardines.
- Watch how much processed sugar you eat and choose foods that are naturally sweet when those cravings hit:
- Snack on dates or prunes and keep dark chocolate on hand as it is usually a less sugary alternative to milk chocolate.
- Limit processed and packaged foods and cook more meals from scratch
- Search www.redsunfarms.ca/recipes for quick and easy family favourite recipes.
- Go easy on the salt shaker
- Flavour food by adding fresh or dried herbs and spices.
- Sauté or steam vegetables in broth instead of water
- Eat lots of fruits and vegetables to ensure you get enough fibre. Fibre not only helps us to stay regular but it may also reduce cholesterol levels
- Get enough sleep
- Aim for 7-8 hours a night and minimize screen time before bed.
- Exercise! Being physically active is one of the most effective tools for minimizing risk for heart disease, it:
- Strengthens our heart and keeps our weight under control
- Wards off artery damage from high cholesterol, high blood sugar and high blood pressure
For tips on how to grocery shop with heart health in mind check out this post from Produce For Better Health.
For more information about Red Sun Farms vegetables click here.